I am completely, 100% NOT into the holiday spirit this year. I think it is a combination of my aunt being sick, feeling worried about money, anxious about the state of the world...whatever the reason(s), I am just not feelin' it this year. Usually by this time of year I'm either humming along ahead of schedule (and budget) or else in a bit of a panic about all I need/want to do/spend/buy for a 'perfect' holiday season.
This year I am none of the above. I am almost indifferent. I have bought most of the gifts I intend to buy, but it is going to be a modest spread for the girls (from us, anyway...I know they will be spoiled by grandparents), and I don't even feel upset about it. Usually, I end up buying everything on an elaborate list and then getting 'just a few more' at the last minute. Not happening this year.
I also decided not to send out holiday cards this year. This is a departure from the past several years, where I would start 'staging' the photo op as early as October, and then spend many hours agonizing over photos and layout options, making my list of recipients...
And, this year, unlike all but the two years we lived in Oregon, we will not be celebrating Christmas Eve/Day as we have always - with aunts and uncles and cousins and loads and loads of food. I think that is what has me most down about it this year... so much so that I don't even feel like starting our own new traditions. I could invite family to our house for an elaborate meal, but I just don't feel like it. So, as I told Evan...this year, we're going to be 'real Jews' and spend Christmas Day going to the movies and ordering Chinese takeout. Is it sad that I'm actually looking forward to it?
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
((hugs)) I think we all have years like that. Enjoy your chinese!
Post a Comment