Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Busy Indeed!

My gosh, when I said my strategy for getting though the dead of winter was to stay busy, I don't think I knew what I was setting myself up for.

The last few weeks have been busy in a way that I can't remember being since my college days. Some of it is fun busy, but a lot of it is, well, just busy.

We're in the heavy soliciting period for the Chance Auction for Sadie's school, so it seems that any spare (read: non-working) time that I have has been spent either calling or visiting on local merchants. I have a list of a few dozen to get through and it is surprisingly time-consuming. It is a worthwhile cause, so in that sense I am happy to do it, but jeez...I'm looking forward to this phase ending.

Sadie is once again performing in the talent and variety show at school and this year I've taken on a more active role of working with the group of girls. We've had a tight timeframe to pull an act together and rehearse it, so evening rehearsals (to the tune of several times a week) are added in to the mix, as well. This weekend I need to run around and get the costumes pulled together, too.

Add to that school store and the family item drive we are doing for Blossom International and I am freaking busy.

Work has actually been insanely busy, too (start of the semester and all that), so it feels like from 7am to 11pm, I'm walking around kind of buzzing with a list of 'to-do's' in my head.

As much as I do enjoy the hubub (sp?) of being busy and I've gotten to know some really nice women through volunteering, I think it is time to say enough is enough for right now. I definitely don't like that between the soliciting, committee meetings and rehearsals, we don't always get to sit down together at dinnertime. And, I don't like that the one thing that I feel I have wiggle room to drop off my daily 'to-do' list when time is tight is a trip to the gym. So, the T&V show is the first week in February and once that is over, I'm not looking for other activities. I had actually volunteered to be on the planning committee for my 20th (gulp!) high school reunion, but I am rethinking that one.

Anyway, I guess all of this has been a good exercise in figuring out how much is too much and being more selective about what I get involved in.

We've had a bunch of fun busyness, too (dinners with friends, birthday parties, snow tubing), but there is something less fun about fun activities when down time is at such a premium. I'm definitely looking forward to a quieter February.