Friday, November 21, 2008

So...Plan B.

I've given a lot more thought to the holiday spending issue since I posted the other day. And, I've decided that instead of fretting over how to pay for everything and when, I'm just not going to go all out this year. I've already bought the girls each two things they really will like, and tonight I'll order their shared gift (Dance Dance Revolution). I think I'm just going to get them one more gift each, and call it good. For Hanukkah, I'm reverting back to last year's plan of small things (stickers, cards, markers) each night.

Honestly, writing out that post the other day really did cause me to stop and think about what I was trying to accomplish and why. And, I realized that it was becoming more about what mattered to me (that feeling of providing lots of gifts for the girls to open) than what matters to them (getting a few new toys and having everyone together to celebrate). They are young enough to not have any real expectations about the holidays yet. So, why am I setting myself up for years of buying more than I really should/can afford just so they will have lots of packages to open? They are going to love what I bought them this year, and when they are old enough to start requesting things, I'll be happy to buy them what I can afford. In the meantime, I don't need to go overboard in such a way that I'm needing to worry about how to pay for everything else.

So, with that said, I'm feeling a weight lifted off of my shoulders. This weekend, I will likely finish up the rest of the shopping and not have to worry about it come December. Who knew blogging could be so therapeutic?!?

No comments: