First and foremost, this weather needs to change. I don't ever remember such a rainy spring as this one. It is downright depressing already. We're still in long pants and long-sleeved shirts most days, it has been so cool. And the day after day of constant rain (only briefly interrupted by a little bit of non-precipitous gloom) is taxing. My mental health is definitely tied to my relative exposure to the sun (hence the reason the Oregon years were brief) and I am feeling it these days. The beach club is opening this weekend, it is disappointing to realize that we won't be going. Frankly, we've been to the movies, we've been shopping, we've been to the library...we're running out of rainy day activities. My summer schedule starts next week and the thought of being cooped up with the kids most days is not a pretty one.
Good segue for my next topic, which is parenting. I have to say, even though I am wishing, hoping, praying for some nice weather soon, the thought of being stuck in more often than not this summer is not inspiring the same sort of panic and fear that it has in years past. I don't know if it is that now that Eden is three, we're really truly just past the hardest part of parenting (until we hit the teen years) or what, but we're definitely on a nice roll with things. We're at the point where the pleasure I get from being with the girls far outweighs anything else. For some natural mother types, maybe this is no big thing, but I can assure you, it hasn't always been the case for me. It wasn't too long ago that the thought of a couples only trip was a much sought-after fantasy. Now? Let's put it this way...I just booked our second trip to Disney. The girls have really just become these fun, funny little people and I can't imagine an extended period away from them. That's not to say that I don't enjoy an adult night out (I do!), but I don't have that same sense of desperately needing it the way I have in the past. This is a nice place to be, emotionally. :)
Back to the Disney trip. I can't believe we are doing it again, so soon. Trust me when I say that we are not "Disney People"... but somehow, we were thinking about where to get away next spring and the fact that the kids wanted to go back so badly just swayed us and the next thing I knew, I had booked the room. I know it will be a good time - and, it feeds my desire to plan, plan, plan. I'm already thinking about driving routes and dining reservations and park touring plans. I'm hopeless!
Other things on my mind - working out. I've really ramped it up lately (last-minute panic about bathing suit season, perhaps?) and I'm feeling good. I've stopped focusing on distance or speed or time so much and am just trying to stay focused on the general goal of being active, in some way, every day. So, that means that one day I might spend 45 minutes in the gym, the next day I might take a 2 hour bike ride and the next it might just be a brisk walk after dinner. It all feels good - and my mind and body are both the better for it.
I guess that's about it for my random babbling. Now I'm off to do my dry weather dance. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment