Thursday, July 9, 2009

a few minutes to catch up

I'm back at work today for the first time in a week and jeez, it is busy! I guess that's what happens when you only show up now and again ;)

Anyway, we are nicely settled into a summer routine, and really enjoying the break from the rush of the school year. Highlights:

  • Sadie and Eden are both taking swim lessons. They are going really well. Sadie can now easily paddle across the pool, and has started diving down and retrieving things from the bottom of the pool. She is also really enjoying playing in the ocean and riding waves. Eden's progress is less noticeable, lol. She will now actually GO IN the water, so I guess that is a step in the right direction. My goal for her is to simply become more relaxed in the water and get primed for the swim lessons that she'll have during the school year, so in that respect, I guess we're on target.
  • The beach has been lovely, though a little more challenging this year, as both girls have strong opinions about what and where they want to go and rarely do their desires coincide with each other (ocean, pool, playground, snack bar, bathroom, locker...lather, rinse, repeat). So, we do a lot of negotiating and compromising and it is tiring!
  • On Sunday, they were doing paddle boat races in the pool at the beach. Sadie was ticked off because it was going to restrict her access to the pool for an hour or so. I asked her if she wanted to participate and she emphatically said, "NO!" She followed up by lamely saying, "I'm not good at paddling", but I know the real reason is that she simply has a hard time joining in - her shyness gets the best of her more often than not. Anyway, I didn't push it and we went down onto the beach. When it was race time, Eden announced that she wanted to do it so I told Sadie we needed to go up there and cheer her on. Sadie immediately said, "Oh, alright, I guess I'll do it, too." Nothing like a little sibling pressure, I guess. Anyway, Eden's race was first (they grouped the 3 and 4 year olds together for the heat). The look on her face as she was racing was adorable - so determined! She ended up winning her race and proudly accepted her 'prize' (a coupon for the snack bar). Well, once Sadie saw Eden do it and win, you can bet she was doubly motivated. When they finally called the six year olds, she practically dove into the boat. Same look of determination and pride and excitement at all the cheering on her face and guess what? She took first place for her race as well! My two little champions <3>
  • Speaking of soccer, we've been having nightly games of it in our backyard (mommy and Eden v. Daddy and Sadie) to get her familiar with the game. What a riot! We are all enjoying it, I think.
  • We leave for our Boston trip on Saturday morning. We're really looking forward to it. We'll just be gone for four days, but I think it will be a fun adventure for the girls.
  • Sadie starts camp a week from Monday. I think the timing will be just right - I'm guessing by then, we'll all be eager for a little structure and activity to our week.
That's about it, I guess. Work beckons, so I'd better run. I'll check in next week!

No comments: