Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Shifting Gears

Yesterday was, officially, my last 'summer vacation' day of the year. It was a good one - great weather, a nice day at the beach. But, I have to say, that mentally, I think I had already shifted gears - so much so that I felt a bit like I was just 'getting through' the day in anticipation of what comes next. It definitely didn't have that same, lazy day middle of summer feel to it.

In the morning, we went out and got Sadie all geared up for soccer (practice starts tomorrow evening). I'm happy to report that she is very excited now. We even had to have a family soccer game last night so she could try out her new garb.

We then headed to the beach for the afternoon, and the kids spent hours in the water. I love how much swimming they've gotten in this summer. No one can accuse these girls of being couch potatoes, that's for sure. Their last swim lesson is Friday, sadly. Eden will continue to have lessons through school, and I am looking into a family membership at the JCC so that we could hit the pool there on crappy winter weekends.

As I sat watching them, I had lists running through my head of the things I still need to take care of before school starts. Not exactly a relaxing day. The other sign to me that summer has run its course is that the girls have started bickering a lot in the last week or so. They have been remarkably good all summer, so this shift in attitude tells me it is time for a change in routine. They will be spending the rest of the week with a combination of Evan, my mom and Marjorie watching them and have some new activities on the roster (peach-picking, movies, circus), so hopefully they won't kill each other.

Sadie starts school next Wednesday, and Eden, the following week. Sadie got her teacher assignment and was a bit upset to learn that none of her friends are in her class. This is leading to some anxiety, but nothing like the wreck she was last year at this time. I know that once she gets there on the first day and sees some familiar faces, all will be fine. Eden, on the other hand, CANNOT wait for school to start. I have no doubt she is going to dive right in. I'm taking her later this week to pick out her backpack and lunch bag - she is so excited.

So, in a nutshell, that is where things stand. I'm back at work and this is one of my busiest times of the year, so I probably won't be blogging for a bit.

1 comment:

Alexis Jacobs said...

Good luck with things over the next few weeks! Hope the kids have a fantastic 1st day.