Last week was my first week on my modified summer schedule (working 2 days a week). It was a great week, and if it is any indication as to how the rest of the summer is going to play out, I am thrilled.
Though the forecast has called for the chance of thunderstorms almost every day for the past week or so, the weather gods are clearly smiling on us, as the rain, on the days that it did actually come, always seemed to happen moments after we've left the beach to head home for naptime, or, better yet, on the 2 days that I actually had to come in to the office ;)
The beach has been proving, once again, to have some magical ability to quell both the girls' desire to bicker as well as my own tendency to lose my shit with them, and we've had a whole bunch of really fun, relaxing days there.
Even so, I decided this summer that I would be sending Eden to Cindy's one extra day each week so that I could have a day with Sadie. She puts up with a lot when Eden is around (being limited as to what we can do and when), so I wanted her to get a day each week that was predicated by her wishes entirely. So, Friday was the first of these days, and we had an awesome time. We dropped Eden off at Cindy's, and immediately drove north so we could see the dolphins. What a special treat! We sat and watched for quite a while and then headed out do breakfast. After breakfast we hit the beach and ended up staying the entire day, until it was time for horseback riding lessons. I hadn't had a chance to see Sadie ride in a while (Evan normally takes her), so it was great to see how much she has improved. She has graduated to small horses (from ponies) and is clearly the most advanced rider in her group. After riding, we met Evan and Eden out for dinner at the Lake House, which is a great summer evening destination. We sat outside and managed to finish our meal, pay the bill and make it back to the car before the evening storm blew in (those weather gods, again). The girls (Sadie, especially) were pooped from the long day and we actually got them to bed at a decent hour. Which was a good thing, because once they were in bed, we immediately began prepping for....
The neighborhood breakfast we hosted bright and early Saturday morning :-) That was a roaring success, and about 50 people showed up. The food and company were both great and it was fun to show off the house and yard to a neighborhood full of people who last toured the house during the open house when it was on the market (and in a sorry state of neglect and disrepair).
The gathering ended at about 11, and Evan and I spent the next hour or so cleaning up, breaking down tables, putting food away. Then it was time to get ready to head off to S and L's house for their son's 2nd birthday party. We spent the the rest of the day there, and the kids had an absolute blast. Eden skipped her nap entirely and did just fine with it, which is good to know we can have some flexibility this summer. We headed home in the early evening, and once again, had two very sleepy kids in bed nice and early. I think I passed out by 9pm myself.
Sunday morning, Sadie woke up and said "what are we doing today? NOT another party, right? I'm still pooped from yesterday" (that's my girl). To her (and my) relief, we had nothing on tap except for chilaxin. We spent most of the day at the beach and capped off the weekend with a nice dinner with Evan's parents.
So, I'm back in the office today, kind of wiped from the weekend, but enjoying the quiet. I have a ton to get done, so hopefully, I'll knock it out quickly before I leave. I may not be back blogging until after the holiday weekend, so Happy Fourth, everyone!
Monday, June 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Glad the summer schedule is working out. Sounds like you guys are having lots of fun!
Post a Comment