Friday, August 1, 2008

A breath of fresh air

This post is a departure from the usual kid-oriented topics...

I was downloading some pictures off of my camera and came across this one, which Sadie must have snapped.



It made me think that it was time to blaaaag a bit about the state of our yard.

Probably the biggest reason I haven't posted any recent updates on the yard projects is because, well, there are none. The yard is actually, dare I say it...done. Or, as done as a yard ever is to people who like to garden (meaning, there's always going to be projects we want to take on). This picture is of the front walkway. With the exception of the impatiens (in the foreground), everything else is either a perennial or a self-seeding annual, so aside from a bit of weeding, there was nothing to do but watch the stuff grow and bloom. There's lots of other things out front that didn't make it into this picture (lilys, irises, hydrangea, decorative grasses...). The front yard really looks awesome, and we get tons of compliments on it from people passing by all the time.

The backyard, too, looks great. The deck is finished and full of containers of flowers and herbs. The yard actually boasts a lawn, a vegetable garden and an herb garden (both of which are being devoured by a groundhog, btw). It has been such a pleasure to enjoy it this year, after going without a usable back yard for so long. We often eat dinner out there, and on the mornings when I manage to get up and out and showered before Eden wakes, I love having my coffee outside, too. I'm considering buying a firepit once they go on clearance so we can enjoy some fall evenings out there. We are also shopping for fences, as we plan to fence the backyard in so that Buddy can stretch his legs out there, so I guess there is a project in the hopper.

Next year, we plan to take on the side yard. It is a shame we have neglected it thus far, as it is street facing, but it just hasn't been a priority. We did do some cleaning up and defined a bed, and Evan built a rock wall, so it is looking ok. The plan for next year is to just fill in the bed and reseed the lawn there (right now we are, in the words of my landscaper brother, "cultivating moss"). Nothing too major, and hopefully, once that is done, aside from the normal grass-cutting, weeding, and seasonal pruning, this part of the yard will chug along as effortlessly as the rest of it.

2 comments:

Kate said...

It's so great that you can have flowers all summer. It's hard down here b/c things tend to burn up in the intense heat. We can only grow "hardy" plants.

Alexis Jacobs said...

Those flowers look awesome. I agree with Kate. The flowers are what I miss from living up north. All mine here are crispy fried from the heat. Great job!