Monday, March 30, 2009

A glimpse into the future?

So, this blog really has become the 'weekend update' forum, but hopefully, it is still accomplishing what I set out for it to do 2 years ago...namely, keep a record of our life during these special years with the kids.

Anyway, that said, this past weekend was really nice, but it definitely gave me a look into what life is probably going to be like in the not so distant future.

Saturday morning we were lazing about in our PJs, thinking about what we might do on such a rainy day. I was in the kitchen and walked into the den to see Eden chatting away on the phone. Note to anyone who ever calls our house - I am so, so sorry. It is impossible to beat Eden to the phone, and half the time I don't even hear it ring before she has picked it up and trapped some helpless caller into a conversation. And oh yeah, furthermore, if your number is programmed into our phone, chances are good you have been the recipient of one of Eden's mad dialling sessions. Yeah, sorry about that.

Anyway, turns out it was Carolyn on the phone, calling to see if the girls wanted to come over and play with Abby and Joey. Of course, they were all over that, so they were dressed and on their way over in no time. Suddenly, I had a free afternoon - what a novelty! I ended up going grocery shopping, visiting my aunt, then hitting the gym, then coming home and doing some cleaning. Cleaning, it turns out, goes MUCH faster when there aren't two little people with endless interruptions around. I even finished early enough to have time to just sit and read. Crazy! By the time Eden came home at 4, I was overjoyed to see her - it was nice, but too weird to be in the house without the kids for so long.

Sadie ended up staying for dinner and a sleepover at Abby's, so we didn't actually see her until almost noon on Sunday. I missed her! On the one hand, it seemed kind of inconceivable that these children could be old enough to be away from me and Evan (outside of school/daycare) for so long. On the other hand, I have to say, it was kind of neat to realize that they day is coming (maybe it has come already?) when the kids are growing up enough that spending time with Evan and me isn't always going to be their first choice of activity. It is bittersweet, I think. It certainly made me cherish the afternoon we spent with them yesterday that much more, realizing that the weekends of all kids, all the time, are probably numbered.

We spent the afternoon up at Sandy Hook, just playing and exploring the cove side of the hook. The weather turned beautiful in a really sudden and unexpected way, so it was great to be out and enjoy it.

All in all, it was another great weekend. Often, by Sunday night, I am ready to head back to work and a change of pace from the weekend, but I don't feel that way now. That must be a sign that I'm getting ready for summer vacation, right?

No comments: