Monday, March 3, 2008
changes
Even though I grew up less than five miles from Fort Monmouth (known to locals as The Fort), and driven past it almost any and everytime I left the house to go anywhere outside of our town, I have never really thought much about it. However, it has been on my (and many people around here) mind a lot lately, as it is slated to close. I'm trying to imagine the impact the massive military relocation will have on the real estate market around here as well as the job market (The Fort is the largest civilian employer in the county. The towns that receive tax revenue from the Fort are struggling to figure out how to make that up. And, of course, there is going to be a major land grab for the actual physical property, as undeveloped land is such a sought after commodity here (because we just *need* more McMansions, don't you know?). It should be interesting to see how things unfold over the next couple of years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment