Thursday, January 8, 2009

January Musings

Things that have been on my mind recently...

I can't believe that Eden's birthday is next week. Three. Three! Already? How did that happen? It really seems like I was just pregnant with her. And now, she is so big and grown up. Sigh. She's moving to a big girl bed this weekend. It is definitely time - the other day she got angry at me and stormed out of the room and into hers, where she proceeded to use her shoulder weight to lean against the side of the crib and lower the rail, then climb in, pull the rail up and turn her back to me to face the wall. I guess if she is old enough to have melodramatic scenes like that, she deserves a bed to flop on angrily, no? Saying goodbye to her crib is her last vestige of babyhood, too. Well, unless you count her thumbsucking. She's really a big girl now.

In any event, I do feel a bit sad about saying goodbye to the crib. That thing has served us for six and a half years, and it does feel weird to know that when we disassemble it, it won't be to put in storage for another baby.

That's kind of nice segue to my next thought which is hopes/goals for 2009. Of course I have the usual laundry list of things I always hope to accomplish each year, but the biggie, this year, is that I'm really looking forward to cultivating the 'non-mom' part of myself, that I feel has kind of been buried for six years. With the kids being bigger and more independent, and no new ones on the horizon, I finally feel like I can start to have some time and space for myself again. I want to work on my friendships and make them a more central part of my life again, and make having fun sans kids a regular occurrence. MB, Kirsty, and I have committed to a standing GNO, the second Friday of each month, so I think that is a good start. And running, while I still haven't found that groove where I think I love it or anything, does offer me a nice guilt-free hour to myself on any day I choose to do it.

Ooh, another good segue. Running. It is going pretty well, I guess. I got a bit sidetracked at the end of the year, so I am repeating week four this week. I'd love to say that I love it, but I don't. I really, really don't. But, I keep at it. And, I am seeing results, in both my fitness level and my waistline, so it is all good, I suppose.

Final thought for the day: Sadie has signed on to be a part of a team for the school lip sync show. I'm pretty happy that she wanted to do it (being a group activity), but we got the rehearsal schedule yesterday, and .... oy. Lots of shuttling around for the next month or so. Oh well, if those 'soccer moms' can do it, I suppose we can, too.

No comments: