Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Wherein I brag about Evan again...

When people ask me what Evan does for a living, I say 'he makes furniture.' Then, the responses usually fall into one of three categories.

There's the 'oh, my grandpa/dad/old boyfriend/former neighbor makes furniture for fun, too', which usually implies some sort of hobbying that involves plywood, lots of glue and a nail gun. I never know how to reply to that response without coming across as rude, so I usually just say something along the lines of 'that's great!' and leave it at that.

There's the 'wow! could he make me a sectional couch?' or the 'could he make me a dining room set? I can pay as much as $300 for it' responses. Those usually require me to find a polite way of telling them that a) if they really want a wooden couch, I'm sure he could make them one ;) and b) sometimes the paltry amount of money they want to spend wouldn't even cover the material.

But, every now and then, someone just gets it. They get what he does, and they appreciate the time and skill it requires. We are very lucky to have a neighbor--who runs an art gallery in town--who appreciate what he does. He has talked about possibly showing some of Evan's pieces in an exhibit, which would be very cool.

It really seems like things are coming together on so many fronts for him these days. I couldn't be happier for him, or prouder of him.

So you can share my awe ;), I leave you with a photo of one of the bathroom vanities he has made. Isn't he talented?!?!


1 comment:

Alexis Jacobs said...

Okay that looks AMAZING!! He is really talented!