Monday, January 28, 2008

She Did It!

I posted earlier in the month about doing more to foster friendships and playdates for Sadie. This past weekend, I put my money where my mouth was, and invited one of her classmates and her mother over for a playdate yesterday. The other child (Jessica) is shy, too, and wouldn't come without her mom. So, even though I had about a million things to do and no real desire to make small talk with someone for two hours, I did it.

The kids had a good time, and Jen ( the mom) and I found things to talk about, so it was altogether pleasant. We ended up going to the diner for lunch and then, I had to get Eden home to nap. Sadie and Jessica didn't want the playdate to end, so I invited Jessica back to our house, but she didn't want to come without Jen, who also needed to get home at that point. So then Jen asked Sadie if she wanted to come to their house. Sadie readily agreed. I reminded her that I wouldn't be coming, and she was fine with it. So...she went! Without me! I picked her up at around 4pm, and from the sounds of it, she had a fine time. I'm so proud of her.

Next weekend, I'm taking Sadie to a play at the theatre at the JCC. I told Sadie we could invite one of her friends, and have suggested Jessica, Olivia, Amelia, or Matan. She hasn't yet decided who she wants to invite, but it will be one of them. I'm really going to continue to try to arrange something once a week or so. It was rewarding to see if pay off so quickly.

2 comments:

Alexis Jacobs said...

I am glad the playdate went well. What a fun time for you both!

Unknown said...

That's awesome! I'm happy to hear this! :) Yay you!