We had a meeting yesterday to figure out who is going to be submitting proposals to present at the various academic and technology conferences that we normally try to attend. Is it bad that I passed completely on offering submit to a particular conference that I'm pretty sure I could easily have a proposal accepted, simply because I don't like the location?
Well, actually, it is a combination of things. The location (Memphis) = not exciting. The conference itself (vendor-sponsored, and therefore, not a very diverse constituency of attendants, and also seriously lacking on the awesome trade show booths that give away all sorts of awesome freebies) = meh. And, perhaps, the biggest downfall...the timing. July. I have no desire to be further than 10 minutes from the beach from June through September.
So, anyway, I passed on that one. But, I am going to submit for Educause, though, I think my chances of being accepted again are slim. On a good note, it seems as though we'll have funding to attend again, regardless of whether we're presenting. Why am I so excited? Well, for one thing, it is an awesome conference - very inspiring. For another thing, I have had a blast each time I've gone (Denver and Seattle), and I love the opportunity to connect with people I've known throughout my career. But, maybe the biggest motivator this year is the location.
Orlando.
Home of the House of the Mouse.
The timing (late October) seems like it would be perfect for taking the girls. Having my airfare and our accommodations covered would certainly make this a doable trip for us. I am dying to take them, and Sadie is dying to go. So, if things work out (a big if, it seems, as things almost never quite seem to work out when it comes to these things, as per the big anniversary trip to the Dominican Republic that I'm not ready to admit total defeat on just yet), this could be really good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I hope they accept your proposal! Good luck.
Post a Comment