Have you heard about this book yet? I'm debating whether or not to buy it. The premise is hiding superfoods in meals that kids will eat. I'm kind of torn...on the one hand, I think it is a great idea. There are many things that I would like for Sadie to be eating that she just wouldn't consider However, on the other hand, slow and steady wins the race, and I feel like by not accommodating Sadie's pickiness, and by repeatedly offering/serving her healthy stuff, I'm slowly seeing a change in her willingness to try things. Just in the last year, we've gotten out of the bad habit of preparing separate meals for the girls, which has greatly reduced stress and meal preparation time. Now, our strategy is to require them to try a small bit of whatever we're serving and then make sure there is at least one thing on the table that we know they'll eat (yes, many nights, they fill up on mashed potatoes or egg noodles or dinner rolls). As I said, recently, Sadie has surprised us by asking for seconds of things she was reluctant to touch initially (pork chops, meatloaf, grilled chicken).
And, although Sadie is limited in what she'll eat, the things she loves are generally healthy (many veggies, fruits, carbs, dairy), so the thought of hiding sweet potatoes in pizza or pureed brocolli in chicken nuggets does seem like it is just going to reinforce to her that those kid type meals are what she should be eating. Huh, I guess I just talked myself out of buying the book, didn't I?
No comments:
Post a Comment