...the more I start to think that 18 is really too young to ask kids to choose a school, pick a major, begin planning a career and for some, live away from home. I'm teaching a freshman seminar course again this year, and I'm just astounded at how ill-prepared a lot of students are for college life. And, as a senior in high school, how well can we really expect them to properly research their choice of schools? I have a number of students in my class who really shouldn't be here -- the culture here is not a good fit for them, and it makes me sad to think about how much money they are spending to be here, and not thrive.
I think students (and parents) need to do a lot more research on schools before deciding on one. Sadly, I think for many, they are swayed by factors such as student loans or location of campus, rather than the things that really make or break your college experience. I definitely understand why those things are important, but I just think a lot of students end up at schools for the wrong reason - what a costly mistake.
Anyway, I generally don't like to write about work on this blog (for fear of being dooced!), so I'll just leave it at that, I suppose.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment