Monday, October 15, 2007

I am so out of touch

With how much things cost, sometimes. I mean, the things I buy (or want to buy), I've got that covered (did you know that Australian navel oranges were a dollar EACH at Wegmans this week? Damn, that's expensive! But my girlies do love them some oranges, so Mama shelled it out for them).

Its the things that I assume are out of my league that fall off my radar. Like, I have no idea how much a brand new E class Mercedes cost, do you? I just know that I can't afford it.

So, when I read in a gossipy news site the other day that Fred Goldman had to return O.J. Simpson's watch because it was a fake, I thought, "how much could a fancy watch really cost that Mr. Big Shot Kills His Wife And Gets Away With It And Then Hides All Of His Money From The Families Who Won A Civil Suit Against Him can't shell out the bucks for a real one?" Well, apparently, a fancy watch can cost a darn lot of money. My big splurge before I started a higher-paying job at ZEFER, was shelling out $300 on a watch (for the record, I love that thing and have worn it faithfully for seven years, so I consider it $300 well-spent). That's nothing compared to the $65,000 (no, that third zero is not a typo) you can shell out for a Girard Perregaux watch.

As I said, I'm pretty ignorant (maybe blissfully so) of the wads of money that can be spent on things.

Note to self: don't go price-shopping for fancy cars or watches any time soon.

No comments: