How quickly the months fly by, when measured in well check intervals. It was time for Eden's 18 month well check today. Yeah, yeah, I know...she's twenty months. Better late than never, right?
The appointment was a good one. She has grown three inches since her last appointment!! As I expected, she is meeting all the developmental milestones, and is overall a healthy, growing girl. :)
The big thing that came out of the appoinment, though, is that her doctor would like her to get the RSV vaccine. She considers her 'at risk' for complications from RSV, should she develop it again this year, because she was hospitalized with it as an infant. So, the big hurdle is going to be getting the insurance company to approve it. If it were a one-off shot, priced at even a couple of hundred dollars, I might be willing to suck it up and pay it. But, each shot is over a thousand dollars, and she'll need at least six of them (one a month for the entire cold and flu season). Not exactly pocket change.
So, the doctor referred us to a pediatric pulmonologist's office and the nurse there took our info and is going to bat with the insurance company. She has some things working in her favor, as far as qualifying for coverage (being in daycare, having an older sibling in school, and having the previous hospitalization), but a few things working against her, as well (primarily, no family history of asthma). So, we'll see. I hope she can get it, because I'd really like to avoid a repeat of the fiasco that was last Thanksgiving weekend.
If she's going to get the round of shots this year, she needs to get the first one asap (before cold and flu season really kicks in), so hopefully, the approval process can be expedited.
Anyway, I'll update on this as I have news.
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's a bummer. Poor thing. At least she will be protected.
Post a Comment