One thing I did over the long weekend was finally do the finish work in the entryway to the house. The previous owners had cedar shingles on the walls (don't ask...they had a lot of strange decorating ideas), and we had pulled them down when we redid the living room. However, the glue that was adhering the shingles was impossible to remove, and couldn't be painted over. So, for 18 months, the entryway around the front door has looked terrible (unpainted with black splotches of dried up glue). So, I got motivated on Saturday evening and--with some guidance from Evan-- mixed up some durabond and plastered over it. Sunday morning, I primed it, and that afternoon my dad came over and painted. It looks great! Finally, all the walls match. So, of course, now that the walls look great, I'm noticing what doesn't look so good. And that would be the cheapie light fixture we have in the ceiling. We really did just buy the Home Depot special without too much regard to asthetics, and while it has done a fine job of providing light, I'd like something a little dressier. So, I'm kind of torn between a fancier ceiling-mounted fixture, or possibly a small hall table with a table lamp instead.
Anyway, I guess the point of this entry is to say that completing this mini-project has sort of rejuvenated my desire to take on small projects in the house. We've been so focuses on the yard for so long that I haven't wanted to take on anything indoors. But, buoyed by my durabond success in the entryway, now I have my sights set on doing the same for the hallwayways (yep, they had that lovely shingle look going on, too). I've been eyeing up potential wall colors and lining up a couple of day-long babysitting commitments from the grandparents so that I can get it done. I'll definitely post pictures when it is complete.
Wednesday, September 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment