I mentioned in passing that we did a bunch of yard cleanup this past weekend. It was time, and it was needed, as we finally got a hard frost the other night and the alyssum and nasturtium, which had been holdouts all fall, continuing to bring a bit of brightness to the bed, finally kicked.
So, it looks nice and tidy now, but also pretty dreary. The mums are just about done (they bloomed so early this year, it seems), and the hydrangea are holding on to a few dried out, faded blooms, but other than that, it is pretty stark.
In the mornings, I like to sit in the front window while I drink my coffee and look out and enjoy the view of the front (if you saw our backyard, you'd understand why I don't look out that way too often ;) ). This morning, I realized it was probably time to start buying some fresh flowers for the house, as the outside 'canvas' is no longer alluring. Fresh flowers are a luxury I usually only allow myself in one of two scenarios: company is coming and I need to freshen up the house, or else I'm just suffering from a bout of seasonal depression and need a whif of spring (albeit, false spring) to pick me up. I wish I could buy them more often, but they are just too expensive. I suppose if I looked hard enough, I could find a local place that sells wholesale flowers to individuals, and then I could justify buying them more often. Then again, maybe the 'specialness' would wear off then, so who knows? Anyway, I do think my mood today qualifies for an emergency purchase under the 2nd clause of my rule (it is a gray, dreary day, and I'm feeling it), so I may have to make a stop at Wegmans on the way home for a pick me up.
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment