Sadie has been wired all week, unable to concentrate on much except the impending Halloween festivities. With a buildup like that, I was afraid the actual day was going to be a letdown for her, but I'm happy to report that the holiday lived up to expectations. Sadie's school parade was in the afternoon, and it was very cute to see all of the kids in costume. Sadie looked great - the ruby slippers added a perfect touch.
Around 4:30, the neighborhood kids congregated to go trick or treating. Sadie, often the one who lags behind, preferring the company of her parents to her peers, was actually leading the pack this time. She was in there, running from door to door with the rest of them. I had a good laugh at my kid when, at one house where the homeowners decided to give out healthier alternatives to candy, Sadie turned to me, pumped her fist in the air and triumphantly shouted "Yessss!!! I got peanut butter crackers!" Obviously, I did something right with her nutritional tastes!
It took Eden all of about two houses to get over her confusion and determine that this going from door-to-door thing was something worth doing. Yes, she usually arrived at the door minutes after the rest of the group had been and gone, but darn it, she was determined to get her share of whatever those things were that were being handed out (more on her candy epiphany in a moment).
After about an hour, Sadie got tired and we headed home. We required the girls to eat their spaghetti before we let them raid their candy buckets. Our first thought was that we were going to let them eat to their hearts' content just the one night, then limit them to a single piece each day afterwards. We had thought that they would give up after maybe 3 or 4 pieces. Well, we quickly revised our plan. They were so wired from the activity to begin with, that they were manic. I swear, I saw little images of tootsie rolls swirling in place or Sadie's irises. ;)
Prior to this, Eden had only ever had one lollipop, but somehow, in the way second born children seem to just know things, she knew the word "Caaaaannnnndddddeeeeee" was something to shout for joyfully. We ended up cutting them off after two pieces, and that was probably two pieces more than they should have had. They were insane. Bouncing off the walls. Eden, in particular, was out of control.
I got them in the tub for a lavender and camomille infused bath (hey, I was desperate), and that did seem to help them bring it down a notch. Once in pj's though, they were still running around until, at about 7:15 (close to an hour earlier than her normal bedtime these days), Eden climbed up into my lap, put her head on my shoulder, and before I could say "are you sleepy?" promptly fell asleep.
Getting Sadie to sleep proved a bit more difficult. When I headed into bed at around 9 or so, I could still hear her in her room, chattering away.
All in all, it was a great day. I am making the kids get back into their costumes today so I can snap a picture (left my camera at work yesterday), so we'll spread a little more halloween cheer today as well. As for the candy? I've given Evan strict orders to do his best to deplete the supply (just subtly enough that they won't notice). He seems up for the challenge. I just know that I need to stay away from it. I'm going to need a hoodia patch if I don't quit hitting up the Reese's cups and Baby Ruths that we have leftover.
Thursday, November 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment