Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Patch Jobs and Jerry-Rigging

I'm wondering how long our method of ignoring our sadly-in-need of renovations bathrooms will last. As it is, we don't have full functional use of our 'master bath' (I have to laugh at that term, as this bathroom is like the size of the 'head' on a small boat...what in the world was the builder thinking?), and the main bathroom, which is shouldering the burden of servicing the four of us, is showing more and more obvious signs of distress.

Deep-cleaning the grout and putting in shiny new Kohler faucets can only take you so far when you have fundamental, structural 'issues', you know? I keep telling myself that if only it can last--and by last, I mean not having the bathtub fall through the floor--a few more years, we'll be ok. Financially, there are some big obligations (daycare and student loans) that will be off of our plate in the next 3-4 years, thereby freeing up a significant chunk of cash each month to deal with the many things we have been putting off. Problem is, I don't know that the bathroom can actually wait that long. I guess time will tell.

1 comment:

Alexis Jacobs said...

You could always do it piece by piece. It is amazing how just new faucets will change the look of a room.