Thursday, April 12, 2007

And I Can Say I Knew Him When...

Our good friend Jeff will be having his taste of 'fame' this coming Sunday, when the New York Times features a write up of his business venture -- The Cotton Tree Lodge. Seven years ago, Evan and I had the opportunity to travel to Belize with Jeff. It was an amazing trip...the beaches, the snorkeling, the food, the people, the scenery, the Mayan ruins...and we've wanted to go back for some time.

At the time, Jeff took us to the jungle property that his good friend (and future business partner) Chris owned. Chris's dream was to open an 'eco lodge' on the land. We camped there for one night, and I'll be honest...after being led in by a machete-bearing guide (the machete was just for clearing brush), wading through the kind of thick mud that steals your shoes from your feet, and being devoured by mosquitos (I was sure I was going to end up with Malaria), I had a hard time envisioning the land as anywhere people would pay money to visit.

Well, Jeff and Chris and a host of others have done an amazing job of transforming the land just enough to make it a really special and comfortable vacation destination, without ruining what it made it so special (lush greenery, citrus fuits growing everywhere, wildlife all around - boy the Howler Monkeys are loud) in the first place. Unlike so many of the big resorts of the Caribbean, it is a resort that really does fit in well with the culture of those who live there. By this time next year, Evan and I will feel comfortable leaving both kids with the grandparents for some away time for us. I'm pretty sure this is where we'll be going.

If you're thinking about a once in a lifetime kind of vacation, or even if you're not, but just curious, I invite you to check it out.

And, congratulations, Jeff on the realization of an amazing vision!

1 comment:

Gina Wieboldt said...

beautiful!! Too bad I will probably not be traveling until my 2 little ones are in college ( or so hubby says...)