Tuesday, April 24, 2007

So, I did a Bad Thing

I mentioned in an earlier post how Sadie has been crying at drop-off in the mornings. This just started a couple of weeks ago. I have spoken with her teacher about it, and she has assured me that she stops moments after I leave, and that she has a great day. We both feel that Sadie has just gotten into a routine with it.

So, I had told Sadie that when she cried, it made me feel really bad, and that even though she stops crying as soon as I'm gone, I don't know that, and it makes me feel sad all day long. I told her that if she couldn't stop crying at drop-off, I wasn't going to do it (drop her off) anymore. I told her that her grandmother (who teaches at her school) would pick her up and take her to school. Sadie immediately said "ok, ok...I won't cry anymore", so I really thought it was going to work.

Well, yesterday morning on the way to school, I reminded her that this was the morning for her to show me that she could be a big girl and not cry. She agreed. Well, the second we stepped through the threshold to her classroom, she burst into tears. On top of her usual "I want you to stay with me" mantra, she added "I don't want Grammy to drive me to school". She was soooo upset. Obviously, I made it worse. So, I assured her that I would continue to drive her to school (I know, probably bad to not keep to my original word, but I just felt bad).

This morning, when she was brushing her teeth, she asked if Grammy was going to pick her up. I told her no, that I would drive her. She said "I didn't want to cry yesterday, I tried really hard, I just couldn't help it." I told her that it was wrong of me to make that threat, and that if she felt like she needed to cry, then so be it. I would still drive her to school every day.

So...we get to school and the drop-off was tears-free, for the first time in two weeks. I cannot, for the life of me, figure that kid out sometimes.

No comments: