The other night, when MaryBeth and Scott were over, we were talking about what we would do if our children grew up to be gay. While we all agreed that we would love and support our children regardless of their sexual orientation, we expressed the feeling that it is not necessarily what we would want for them, as it can often be a harder, more adversity-filled life. That said, their sexual orientation is pretty low down on my list of things to worry about for them. I can think of a whole list of things I'd rather my kids not be. These include religious zealot, Republican, member of the U.S. armed forces, product liability attorney, used-car salesperson, divorcee...
I have so many dreams for my children and their futures, and it is hard to realize that one day they will really be adults, with their own preferences, interests and wills. And, while I can try my best to steer them clear of certain things, they will be who they are meant to be, and it will be my job to love them and support them no matter what.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment