Thursday, August 23, 2007

Get up and Do Something (good)




Every year, thousands of people develop early signs of Alzheimer's Disease. This horrible disease attacks the brain. It is the most common form of dementia. It is NOT a normal part of aging. In my opinion, it is one of the worst diseases a person can develop - because it robs them of their memories, and robs their loved ones of the person they know and love, leaving them with a stranger to care for. Evan's grandmother suffers from dementia, and I can say, it is truly a horrible thing to see someone who was once so full of vitality and personality wither away mentally.

As advances in medicine are allowing people to live longer lives, I think this will become a bigger issue for more and more people. Because of this, I think it is so important that a cure for this debilitating disease be found.

Every year, since 1989, the Alzheimer's Association has sponsored the Memory Walk, designed to get people out there gathering support and funding for Alzheimer's research. There are opportunities available now to start up a team. Team captains are needed! I know of friends and family members who have organized teams for other causes (Race for the Cure, Relay for Life), and they all talk about what a powerful experience it is to do so. I can imagine that being a team captain for the Memory Walk would be just such an experience. In addition, I think it would be fun, especially if you formed a team full of friends and family.

More and more lately, I've been thinking about and talking about setting an example for Sadie as far as civic responsibility. It is all too easy to sit back and ignore some of the bigger problems in society if they don't affect you directly. Just because no one super near and dear to me is suffering from Alzheimer's, it doesn't mean that I can't do something for the cause. As I like to say...if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.


No comments: