I finally--20 months after we moved here--went and got a NJ driver's license last night. So, I guess we're staying ;-). Kidding, of course, as staying was always the plan, but I am relieved to finally have that off of my to-do list. Why the delay? Well, the first year was just plain laziness. But, when I finally did get motivated to switch my MA for a NJ one, I ran into a problem. I couldn't find my MA license! This proved to be problematic for DMV, as they couldn't just look me up in some national system and see that I was, in fact, a licensed driver in MA (or, so they said). So, I actually considered just taking the damn driver test and getting a new license in NJ.
Then, I ran into the 'six points of ID' issue. My passport and birth certificate are in my maiden name, and the copy of the marriage certificate that I had wasn't 'official' enough, so I had to get an official one from Spring Lake boro hall (thanks, Mom, for running that errand for me).
Once I had that in hand, I very well could have started the process, but again, laziness took over.
In the meantime, I drove like a 75 year old woman...always a couple of miles below the speed limit, never making a right on red...all out of a fear of the hefty ticket or arrest I could incur for not having any license on me.
And then, recently, I was looking for something under my bed and what should I find, but my MA license!!! Eden has a not so cute habit of grabbing my wallet and taking everything out of it. She must have done that one time and slipped the license between the slats of the footboard on the bed.
Anyway, once I had that back, getting the NJ license was fairly painless. So, there you have it. I am legal to be on the roads in NJ once again. Watch out, world!
Wednesday, June 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment