Do you remember the scary stories you heard as a kid? The ones that you just couldn't get out of your head and used to torment you in the middle of the night? For me, the spookiest one went something like this:
A woman is driving home from somewhere after dark. She is listening to the radio in the car and hears a news story about a warning of an escaped prisoner, who is considered highly dangerous. She quickly turns the radio off, so as not to hear about it.
After a while, she turns onto a pretty deserted road. She notices a lone pair of headlights in her rear-view mirror, approaching at a pace just slightly quicker than hers. As the car pulled up behind her she glanced and saw the turn signal on — the car was going to pass — when suddenly it swerved back behind her, pulled up dangerously close to her tailgate and the brights flashed. Now she was getting nervous. The lights dimmed for a moment and then the brights came back on and the car behind her surged forward. The woman is terrified now and struggles to keep her eyes on the road. She is convinced that the escaped killer is chasing her. Finally, her exit approached but the car continues to follow, flashing the brights periodically.
She finally manages to lose the car behind her and breathes a sigh of relief. Just as she does so, the real killer, who had been in her backseat all along, leans forward and slices her throat, killing her.
In the end, the driver behind her had been trying to save her. As he pulled up behind her and his headlights illuminated her car, he saw the silhouette of a man with a butcher knife rising up from the back seat to stab her, so he flashed his brights and the figure crouched back down.
Can I just say that this story terrified me for years? To this day, I always, always, check my backseat before I get into the car.
Urban legends--stories told by friends that start out with "a friend of a friend of a friend knew someone who..." really scare me, because I always feel like there is some element of truth to them. Thank god for snopes, so I can check them out and put my mind at ease! Now scary movies or books, on the other hand...I love those! I guess because I know that their sole purpose is to scare and entertain me.
There's a new scary movie coming out, with John Cusak (swoon! but that is a topic for a completely different post...), based on a book by Stephen King, 1408. I haven't read this one, but the 1408 Movie looks good and terrifying from the trailer:
The 1408 Movie is coming to theatres at the end of this month, so if you're looking for a good scary movie, this might be a good one.
No comments:
Post a Comment