Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Night Sky

When we lived 'inside the hub', as the close-in suburbs of Boston are known, it was almost impossible to get a good view of the night sky. Sure, you could see the moon, and occaisionally, Venus, but the rest of the stars were obscured by the orange glow caused by the reflection of the city lights back into the atmosphere.

I remember right after we closed on our current house, but before we were able to move in, we took a ride over at night to look at it. We stood outside and looked up and were astounded by how bright the stars were, and how clear the night sky appeared.

Since we have lived here, we have often sat outside in the nice weather and looked at the stars. Now that Sadie is getting older, and more interested in it, my lack of astonomical knowledge is becoming more and more apparent. I can identify a few things, but not much. I think it would be neat to have one of these Meade MySky Planetariums. How cool would that be?

No comments: