Saturday, May 19, 2007

Further evidence to support the fact...

....that I shouldn't leave the house before I've had a cup of coffee. I was so proud of myself Saturday. Instead of trying aimlessly to fall back asleep after I woke at 5:30 (my new wake up time these days, for reasons that are infuriatingly beyond me), I decided just to get up, throw on some clothes and hit the supermarket when it opened at 6. The store has a Dunkin Donuts right in it, so I figured I'd get a cup first thing once I got there.

First of all...what a fabulous time to shop. I had the entire place to myself, and I have to say, it was so...enjoyable...just taking my time, sipping my cup of coffee and getting our weeks' worth of groceries. IT was great, and I was so pleased with myself as I cruised up to the checkout...line doesn't quite seem the right word, since I was the only customer in sight. Glancing at my watch, I saw that it was only 6:45, I would be back home by 7, likely before anyone else in the house was even up.

Well. That little fantasy ended the moment my purchases were rung up and I realized that I couldn't find the ATM card. I couldn't imagine what could have happened to it...I had just had it at the ATM machine when I got cash out to buy my cup of coffee. Wait a minute! Holy crap! I went tearing back to the machine as I realized that I had LEFT THE CARD IN IT after I got my cash. My card, of course, was nowhere to be found. The sympathetic cashier assured me that the machine 'probably sucked it back in when you didn't grab it', but, somehow, that didn't make me feel a whole lot better.

Anyway, back in the car by 7, racing to the house to get my checkbook (so I could head back to the store and pay for the groceries), while on the phone with customer service at Bank of America to report it lost.

Long story short, by the time I got back home with groceries, there was barely enough time to unpack them before having to shovel some breakfast in Sadie and get Eden dressed before we left for the riding lesson. So much for my peaceful morning.

Anyway, the ordeal hasn't soured me on the idea of getting the grocery trip out of the way very (very!) first thing in the mornings, but I think I'll take the extra 5 minutes to brew a cup of coffee before I leave the house next time.