In my heart, I am definitely a pet person. I can never resist scratching a dog behind the ears or giving a cat a little petting whenever I encounter one. It has been a little more than three years since our dog died, and I really miss having one around. At heart, I am such a dog lover.
In my head, however, not so much. Everytime Evan and I bounce around the idea of getting a dog, I can't help but think about all of the details that make pet ownership...well, work. The dog itself is wonderful, its the dog supplies that must be bought, the dog hair that must be swept, vacuumed and picked off of everything, the responsibility of having an extra being to care for...one who wakes you up early for a walk (gah! we finally got the kids trained to sleep in a bit, for crying out loud), the stinky nasty food that must be doled out, the poop that must be scooped, the fleas that must be treated.
Maybe when the kids are older, I'll reconsider, but for now, I'm happy to consider myself an 'admirer or dogs (as in other people's dogs)', rather than a 'pet person.
Sunday, May 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
pet owners need to shed some money to be able to provide their dog with good dog supplies. This is one of the things that people who want to have a new pet forgot when deciding to own a pet.
Post a Comment