Monday, May 14, 2007

Car Insurance

I've been meaning to call around to a few different companies and get a car insurance quote for us. When we moved here, I just basically took the easiest way out and opened up new policies with the company that had insured us back in Massachusetts. I had assumed that the rates across companies would be pretty similar. But, car insurance rates are a hot topic here in Jersey, in no small part due to the fact that New Jersey boasts the highest car insurance premium rates in the country.* And, I'm learning that the rates actually can vary pretty significantly from company to company.

Given that, I have a list of companies I want to look into, including Geico, New Jersey Manufacturers (I've heard really good things about them), Allstate, and Liberty Mutual. If anyone has any other recommendations, please pass them along.

*according to a survey compiled by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners

3 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

NJ Manufacturers is the best if you can get them. You just have to handle not having a direct agent something some people just dont like.

In Pennsy, Geico didnt make me want to give up driving a car forever

Anonymous said...

Erie. Period. If they write in NJ, I'm not sure they do.

-B-I-L

Deborah said...

Jim - I have heard good things about them...unfortunately, they don't touch NJ. :(